Pub Theology Group will meet on Thursday, September 20, at 7:00 pm at Dimes Brewhouse in Dimondale (145 Bridge Street).
Discussion topics and questions that will be discussed:
Work and life.
1. What is your favorite thing to do while on a work break?
2. What kind of work do you enjoy doing with your hands? Discuss this quote from Saint Francis of Assisi: “He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”
3. Would you rather work outdoors all day in nature, with some hard labor, or indoors, at a desk, with minimal hard (physical) labor?
4. Is it possible to create an economic system—in a democratic society—where those with the highest income aren’t very far from those with the lowest? Would that be preferable to what the case is now in the United States, where the gap between rich and poor continues to widen? Discuss this thought from Eugene Debs: “I am opposing a social order in which it is possible for one man who does absolutely nothing that is useful to amass a fortune of hundreds of millions of dollars, while millions of men and women who work all the days of their lives secure barely enough for a wretched existence.”
5. Genesis 2:15 says, “The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” Discuss the connection of work to one’s identity and sense of self-worth.